I published this book by a Canadian teacher, Ryan Racine, under my imprint Alphabet Publishing. I did hire a separate cover designer, but did the interior myself. It was a tricky project because there were a lot of tables and each chapter had an introductory quote but I’m very pleased with how it turned out.
I also formatted the book as an ebook. I uploaded the print or ebook files to IngramSpark, Amazon/KDP, Draft2Digital, and other platforms and have been marketing and promoting the book!
I was honored to be trusted to publish this touching picture book by the mother of a son with microtia. It was wonderful to take her initial idea and turn it into a full-fledged traditional book. Originally her work was a poem accompanied by some paintings she had done of her son. In order to turn it into a full book, in conjunction with another editor, we brainstormed a plot device and imposed some organization on her idea. We guided her through the process of fleshing out her ideas and creating illustrations that went better with the words. The end result was longer and more of a complete story of inclusion and love for her son.
I was very pleased to publish this book and also develop a PDF ebook version for various platforms.
Publisher: Alphabet Publishing
Skills: copy-editing, content editing, book design, ebook formatting, publishing
I published this book by a Nicholas Gordon, under my imprint Alphabet Publishing. I worked on every aspect of the editorial and design process including content and developmental editing, copy-editing, and proofreading. I also designed the cover and the interior, taking into account author preferences and research into similar books on the market.
I uploaded the print or ebook files to IngramSpark, Amazon/KDP, Draft2Digital, and other platforms and have been marketing and promoting the book.
One of the longest books I’ve worked on, and one of the most difficult to edit. This textbook is aimed at English-language learners and uses historical mysteries and conspiracy theories to give students content to talk and write about. There were five authors and a broad range of topics, from aliens to the JFK assassination to how the dinosaurs died.
Each unit needed to be edited for relevance to ESL learners and clarity, as well as the quality of the accompanying activities and also needed to be fact-checked. Decisions needed to be made about how to present controversial opinions and what subjects were taboo for the classroom or needed to be handled with sensitivity. The educational benefits of the chapter were used as the final guidelines. At the same time, there needed to be cohesion of the book as a whole. I edited for consistency in activity types, questions, and also tone and approach.
Multiple rounds of editing were required with all the authors’ input. I also found appropriate images where needed and used various archives to find historical images and visual aids to support the student.
The interior design was also not easy. The book needed to look and feel like a textbook. The readings needed to be clear for students whose first language is not English and teachers needed to be able to navigate the activities easily. On the other hand, I wanted to keep the feel of mystery implied in the title. The book uses a gimmick of students being secret time agents travelling in time to find out what really happened or even setting wrongs right! So I used a typewriter text and framed the authors as Senior Agents. For the introductory letter, I created a little logo of an imaginary Historical Secret Agency.
The cover also reflects this theme of a secret agent. I took inspiration from DK Publishing or National Geographic kids books. Without getting too busy, the cover is meant to reflect the desk of a secret agent, with a folder full of evidence and photos of various mysteries!
Starting in 2017, I started publishing drama-related learning resources by Alice Savage through my indie publishing company. At first, I formatted the plays to look like scripts from a play publishing house. After extensive research on what plays look like, I created the first row of designs. Simple, clean, and very play-like. I also created a harmonious pallet with room for expanding the series.
However, I realized that many teachers using our plays were not coming from the theater world necessarily. They were not familiar with play script design à la Samuel French, for example. So I redesigned the covers to be brighter and more intriguing, using a color photo in isolation in the center. Branding was done by including a band on the left side of the front cover in various colors.
For the interiors, I kept the script formatting as it was clear to read. This required learning proper playscript formatting but also ensuring the design looked readable to a student whose first language is not English. I also wanted to keep the books short so the price would be low-teachers will likely purchase class sets. And I wanted them to be small enough to fit in the students’ hands. So I chose a highly readable font, even at smaller sizes and included as much white space as possible. The extra space also allows students to mark the script.
Publisher: Alphabet Publishing
Skills: Cover Design, Book Interior Design, Ebook Formatting, Publishing