I published this book by a Canadian teacher, Ryan Racine, under my imprint Alphabet Publishing. I did hire a separate cover designer, but did the interior myself. It was a tricky project because there were a lot of tables and each chapter had an introductory quote but I’m very pleased with how it turned out.
I also formatted the book as an ebook. I uploaded the print or ebook files to IngramSpark, Amazon/KDP, Draft2Digital, and other platforms and have been marketing and promoting the book!
I was honored to be trusted to publish this touching picture book by the mother of a son with microtia. It was wonderful to take her initial idea and turn it into a full-fledged traditional book. Originally her work was a poem accompanied by some paintings she had done of her son. In order to turn it into a full book, in conjunction with another editor, we brainstormed a plot device and imposed some organization on her idea. We guided her through the process of fleshing out her ideas and creating illustrations that went better with the words. The end result was longer and more of a complete story of inclusion and love for her son.
I was very pleased to publish this book and also develop a PDF ebook version for various platforms.
Publisher: Alphabet Publishing
Skills: copy-editing, content editing, book design, ebook formatting, publishing
I published this book by a Nicholas Gordon, under my imprint Alphabet Publishing. I worked on every aspect of the editorial and design process including content and developmental editing, copy-editing, and proofreading. I also designed the cover and the interior, taking into account author preferences and research into similar books on the market.
I uploaded the print or ebook files to IngramSpark, Amazon/KDP, Draft2Digital, and other platforms and have been marketing and promoting the book.
One of the longest books I’ve worked on, and one of the most difficult to edit. This textbook is aimed at English-language learners and uses historical mysteries and conspiracy theories to give students content to talk and write about. There were five authors and a broad range of topics, from aliens to the JFK assassination to how the dinosaurs died.
Each unit needed to be edited for relevance to ESL learners and clarity, as well as the quality of the accompanying activities and also needed to be fact-checked. Decisions needed to be made about how to present controversial opinions and what subjects were taboo for the classroom or needed to be handled with sensitivity. The educational benefits of the chapter were used as the final guidelines. At the same time, there needed to be cohesion of the book as a whole. I edited for consistency in activity types, questions, and also tone and approach.
Multiple rounds of editing were required with all the authors’ input. I also found appropriate images where needed and used various archives to find historical images and visual aids to support the student.
The interior design was also not easy. The book needed to look and feel like a textbook. The readings needed to be clear for students whose first language is not English and teachers needed to be able to navigate the activities easily. On the other hand, I wanted to keep the feel of mystery implied in the title. The book uses a gimmick of students being secret time agents travelling in time to find out what really happened or even setting wrongs right! So I used a typewriter text and framed the authors as Senior Agents. For the introductory letter, I created a little logo of an imaginary Historical Secret Agency.
The cover also reflects this theme of a secret agent. I took inspiration from DK Publishing or National Geographic kids books. Without getting too busy, the cover is meant to reflect the desk of a secret agent, with a folder full of evidence and photos of various mysteries!
This project was a book with lists of 100 words each, broken down into different categories. Each list was followed by a variety of activities to help students recall the words, learn their definitions, and use them in context. It was a wonderful little project that I’m sure teachers will make great use of.
The author wanted me to copy-edit for typos, errors, style, and consistency. One challenge was that since the author was from Cameroon and worked in Shanghai, the language had to reflect international English, not necessarily British or American language. It was a nice project to work on and I learned a lot of vocabulary as well as great ways to practice words!
As grammar editor, I was asked by Macmillan to review the grammar lessons and exercises of the second edition of Mastermind, levels 1 and 2.
My task was to go through every grammar lesson and exercise in the Student Books and Work Books to check for clarity of explanations and use of sample texts to illustrate the grammar point. I also looked for consistency between explanations and exercises and from exercise to exercise.